Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor - Review and Recommendation
If users want centrifugal juicers, one brand they could look at confidently is Breville. This company has always made efficient, sturdy and easy-to-use juice extractors. And when it comes to Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain, the reputation of the company is again proven with a powerful yet compact juicer.
It should be remembered that Breville BJE200XL is not a masticating juicer, but a powerful centrifugal juicer with superfast spinning blades that can create pulp that could sometimes be quite wet. The blades of centrifugal juicers spin rapidly and shred vegetables and fruits to a pulp and separate that from the juice leaving the juice smooth and free from pulp. The great speed of blades and power of centrifugal juicers present a few disadvantages.
Firstly, the thousands of revolutions per minute create an oxidizing effect and heat leading to a layer of froth. This makes it necessary for the user to consume the drink within 15 minutes of making to get maximum nutritional advantage. The only alternative is to refrigerate the juice in an airtight container, but only up to 24 hours.
If a user gives more importance to the maximum yield than convenience and speed, they might be better off with a masticating juicer. Masticating juicers are great for getting significant yields from vegetables and fruits, and are much better for extracting juice from leafy greens.
Masticating juicers are 'slow' and work by chewing ingredients into pulp. They don’t have spinning blades and the chewing takes place very slowly.
Thus, when it comes to ease, efficiency and mainly speed, Breville BJE200XL could be perfect for the users if they want to make juices in the busy morning hours.
Breville BJE200XL Specifications
- Motor: 700 watts
- Dimensions: 16” (H) x 10” (D) x 10.5” (W)
- Weight: Around 7.9lb
- Feeder Chute: 3” wide
- Juice Jug: 25fl oz. (0.74L)
- Materials: Plastic body
- Nutri Disc: Stainless Steel
- Warranty: 1 year limited
Contents of Package
When the package of Breville BJE200XL arrives, users can find the following accompaniments in it along with the juicer itself:
- A food pusher and a cutting knife are included. The food pusher can be used to push vegetables and fruits down the chute and also prevents ingredients from spewing out from the top.
- Unlike other Breville centrifugal juicers, Breville BJE200XL is accompanied by an internal pulp container which is dishwasher-safe and has a capacity of holding a pulp produced by 1.5L of apple juice.
- There is also a stainless steel cutting disc surrounded by a micro mesh filter basket. The basket is dishwasher-safe, but can also be cleaned by soaking it in warm, soapy water and then gently brushing it.
- Users will also find a safety locking arm. The juicer won’t start unless this arm is locked into place in a vertical operating position.
- Another addition is a plastic juicer cover which clips in place on the motor unit’s top and is dishwasher-safe.
- Other inclusions are a nylon bristle brush to clean the filter basket. The brush has a spatula on its other end for removing pulp from the pulp container.
- A comprehensive instruction manual is also included. Users can also download its PDF version.
Breville BJE200XL Assembly
Breville BJE200XL is quick and easy to assemble and takes only a few minutes to put together. The instruction manual contains detailed and clear instructions about the assembly.
What’s Good about Breville BJE200XL?
The first thing that will appeal any user is that the Breville BJE200XL is very neat-sized and occupies a very little space on the kitchen counter.
Another appealing point is its speed and power. Thanks to its 700W motor, it’s powerful and fast. It has 14,000 RPM speed which means that users can get a glass of juice within five seconds.
Breville BJE200XL is also relatively pocket-friendly and hence, if users are looking for quality and convenience paired with affordability, this can be the best bet for them.
Another good point is ease in cleaning. Thus, this juicer is great for those who want to newly start juicing.
Pros of Breville BJE200XL
- Simple to use with only one speed setting and a chute wide enough to accommodate whole beets, tomatoes and apples, hence it saves a lot of prep time
- Very easy to clean with easily removable components most of which are dishwasher-safe
- Powerful 700-watt machine running at 14,000 RPM, powerful enough to even pull contents down the chute with no need of tamper
- The 800ml juice jug of Breville BJE200XL has a built-in froth separator so that while users pour juice in a glass, froth is kept away.
- Very quiet operation as compared to other centrifugal juicers
- Breville BJE200XL is a stable juicer and doesn’t move around while being used
- All parts that come in contact with ingredients are BPA-free
Cons of Breville BJE200XL
- The high-speed 14,000 RPM setting makes this juicer suitable only to extract juice from firmer vegetables and fruits.
- The powerful motor has higher chances to churn out wet pulp. It also leads to more oxidation since it takes in more air. Still, as compared to other centrifugal juicers, Breville BJE200XL produces a much drier pulp but not on a par with masticating juicers.
- Ingredients may be spewed out due to upwards facing chute; hence users will have to keep their hand over the pusher to avoid this.
- While preparing large quantities of juice, users will have to take a break to empty the internal filter bag as it would be filled with pulp from time to time.
- There are certain issues found by users, but they are very rare. Some users have found that the red light indicating “overheating” turns on even after using Breville BJE200XL only for a short time, while some users have found that Breville BJE200XL stopped working altogether and still others faced problems to turn it on. But majority of users don’t face these problems.
- Not a very extensive warranty
Is Breville BJE200XL Versatile?
As such Breville BJE200XL is versatile; however, it’s more effective and quick in juicing hard ingredients like apples, ginger, broccoli, carrots, pears and beets.
Other products with which this juicer works well are peeled citrus fruits like lemons, limes and grapefruit. As mentioned earlier, Breville BJE200XL features an extra-wide chute because of which a lot of users’ preparation time is saved. Users can feed the chute with whole oranges, apples or beets without having to cut them.
However, when it comes to juicing softer fruits and leafy greens, Breville BJE200XL is not very great being a powerful centrifugal juicer. But this problem can be overcome by combining softer fruits and vegetables with harder products.
Products that can or cannot be Juiced with Breville BJE200XL
Orange (Yes): Users can make a lot of fresh, delicious orange juice with Breville BJE200XL. They just have to peel the oranges because the skin would add a bitter taste to the juice. They can also add some apple, ginger or carrot to this juice for a delicious mix of flavors.
Ginger (Yes): Breville BJE200XL is great for juicing ginger. Since ginger has a very intense flavor, users should use only up to a thumb-sized piece. The tough outer skin of this piece should be peeled before adding it to the chute to ensure a smooth and tasty beverage.
Leafy Greens (Somewhat): As mentioned earlier, Breville BJE200XL is not very good at juicing leafy greens being a centrifugal juicer. But if users want to stick to a centrifugal juicer like Breville BJE200XL and want to juice leafy greens, they can try a few tricks; e.g. they can roll the leafy greens into a ball or they can wrap the leaves around hard products like beets or apples and then feed the chute to get a higher yield from leafy greens and create less waste.
Wheatgrass (No): Users should remember that wheatgrass cannot be juiced properly with Breville BJE200XL because being a centrifugal juicer, it has blades that spin too fast to create a good yield. If users want to juice wheatgrass regularly, they should buy a masticating juicer.
Long Story Short: Breville BJE200XL is a juicer with many advantages and some disadvantages. But when users want juices made quickly, it’s a great option given its high speed and almost no prepping time with the extra-wide chute. Thus, if users have no problem with the wet pulp produced and are ready to juice daily (because the aerated juice cannot be stored for more than 24 hours), this is a great juicer for them.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor Amazon link (link opens in the new window).