Health Benefits of Ginger
Ginger is one of the most widely used plants in the world and it comes with numerous great benefits. It is very easy to use for all kinds of things and it can help your body in many different ways. It is often used as a natural remedy for different health issues.
Most benefits that come from ginger are because of the fact that this plant contains many antioxidants.
It contains paradol, gingerol, zingerone and shogaol, which are all known for their therapeutic and anti-inflammatory properties. There are many more other compounds that are known for their healing properties.
Ginger can be found in fresh form, powdered, dried or as a capsule. Today you can even find ginger oil as well. It belongs to the same group of plants like turmeric and cardamom. Ginger is used both for medicinal and culinary purposes. Countries where ginger is widely produced include India, Australia, Jamaica and Indonesia. Some of the key benefits that come from ginger include relieving pain, battling flu, nausea, helps digestion and many others. The following are the main benefits of ginger explained in more detail.
- Chewing ginger or drinking tea made of ginger have been common methods for relieving nausea. This is especially recommended during cancer treatments as it has proven to be very beneficial for the patients. It is also safe product to consume during pregnancy.
- Ginger is also beneficial for helping digestion. This is because of the phenolic ingredients in the plant which are known to stimulate secretion of saliva and help against gastrointestinal irritation. Phenolic compounds also suppress the contractions in the gastrointestinal area when food is processed. Many studies have pointed that ginger also increases the motility inside the digestive tract, which in turn can help in the prevention against colon cancer.
- Ginger can improve brain function as well. Diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's have both been linked to inflammations in the brain and oxidative stress. Due to the fact that ginger contains many antioxidants with strong anti-inflammatory effects, it is believed that this plant plays a huge role in improving your brain health.
- Pain reduction is another positive benefit that comes from ginger. It also reduces the pain symptoms associated with the menstrual cycle in women.
- Ginger is known as cold and flu reliever. Drinking ginger tea is great way for warming your body from inside and ginger tea is also a diaphoretic. In other words, it promotes sweating through which the cold goes away. Making ginger tea is very easy and all you need to do is slice thirty to forty grams of ginger and put it inside hot water. Adding honey or lemon will additionally provide good benefits including increased levels of Vitamin C and other minerals. Ginger tea is great natural remedy that has proven to be very effective against flu infections.
- Cardiovascular health can significantly be improved with increased intake of ginger. This is because ginger reduces the levels of bad cholesterol, lowers the possibility for blood clotting and helps in maintaining healthy levels of blood sugar.
- Reducing inflammation is what ginger has been used for many centuries. It has anti-inflammatory properties and many clinical studies have pointed that taking ginger dietary supplements plays major role in reducing the risks for developing colorectal cancer. Ginger has also been used for treating inflammatory issues connected with osteoarthritis.
When it comes to risks associated with ginger, virtually there are not any and this plant is generally considered very safe to consume.
Fresh ginger has never caused any known negative side effects to people. However, on some occasions people can sense mouth irritation or get diarrhea.
Regarding ginger supplements, their side effects are variable from brand to brand, but in general they are very mild, if any. It is advised for pregnant women not to take more than thousand milligrams of ginger supplement per day. In any case, it is advisable to consult a doctor or medical professional if you have some problems with blood clotting or diabetes before you choose to use ginger in a form of a supplement.
As with all other things in life, moderation is the key. Ginger is unlikely to ever cause you any problems and is generally one of the safest natural products to use. Aside from occasional stomach discomfort and diarrhea you should not experience any other side effects. It rarely happens, but some people may also be allergic to ginger.
If you experience some symptoms such as swelling or hives then you should stop consuming ginger and discuss the issue with your doctor.
As mentioned, besides fresh, powdered and in form of capsules, ginger also comes in form of an essential oil. If you use it as essential oil on your skin you should experience good benefits as well, but some people with more sensitive skin may get irritated by the oil. So a good thing to do before using the ginger oil is to test yourself to see whether you have sensitive skin.
No matter whether you use ginger as fresh supplement in your food, in form of capsule or oil, the best thing to do is to start with lower dosages and gradually increase it. That way you can easily check your tolerance levels and will avoid any problems. Follow the recommended dosage and lower down dosages if you experience some negative feeling from ginger. However, you are unlikely to ever experience negative symptoms.
Bottom line is that ginger is a very effective and beneficial natural product that comes in many different forms. Among many other mentioned positive characteristics, worth mentioning is the fact that ginger is equally good for men and women of all ages. For women it can decrease their morning sickness when pregnant and can ease their menstrual pains.
Different bacterial and fungal infections are also easily eliminated by using ginger and it can be very effective in the treatment of stomach ulcers. All in all, ginger comes with dozens of benefits and minimal risks.