Best Cold Press - Masticating – Juicers for 2020
There is no doubt that homemade juices are much healthier than store-bought sugar-laden ones. However, the type of juicer a user has can make a difference with the juice and make it just nutritious or more nutritious.
The traditional centrifugal juicer works by tearing apart the vegetables and fruits with its fast-spinning blades. However, due to the speed, heat is generated and ingredients are exposed to air. Because of this, the nutrients extracted in the juice from the veggies and fruits may get degenerated.
Therefore masticating or ‘cold-press’ juicers are gaining increasing popularity because they work by pressing and grinding veggies and fruits to extract juice because of which no heat is generated and nutrients remain intact. Since no heat is produced, the juicer is known as ‘cold-pressed’.
Cold pressed juicing is a process with which fresh fruits can be preserved with the help of High-Pressure Processing (HPP) or Pascalization. This method involves the use of extremely high pressure and eliminates harmful bacteria which die at 60,000 PSI (Pounds per Square Inch) and yields enzymes, vitamins and minerals to an optimum extent and also maintains a good taste. HPP is recognized by the FDA for preserving freshness of food and enhancing its shelf life without using high heat or preservatives.
What to Look for while Buying a Cold-press Juicer?
Here are some qualities users should look for so as to get the best cold press or masticating juicer.
Ingredients to be Used
Not any masticating or cold press juicer is good for juicing any ingredient. Some are best for juicing vegetables and fruits whereas others are good for butters, baby foods and sauces.
Some are perfect for soft foods while others work best for hard foods and still some others are good for both.
For example, slow juicers with twin gears are perfect for slow juicing of hard produce like watermelon rinds but can work for soft fruits as well.
Size of the Juicer and its Components
If a user has a smaller counter space, he might want a small-sized cold press juicer. Regarding components, a masticating juicer with many containers or cups can be chosen if a lot of juicing is to be done at a time. It will take less time than having to transfer juice into bigger containers every now and then.
Width of Chute
It’s important to check the width of the chute because the wider the chute the bigger chunks (or even whole) fruits and veggies can be thrown in it which cuts down preparation time.
Wider chute also reduces the likelihood of clogging and oxidation. Reduced oxidation means the juice can last long.
Varying Speeds and Strainers
Users should look for a slow juicer with varying speeds and strainers because when it’s about speed, soft fruits like grapes can be best extracted with a slow speed while hard fruits like apples need a high speed. When it comes to strainers, a smooth strainer allows little to no pulp in the juice whereas a coarse strainer leaves relatively more amount of pulp. Thus depending on users’ choice of juice, strainers can be changed.
Easy Pulp Ejection
Most cold press juicers feature pulp containers either outside or inside. A slow juicer that doesn’t feature a pulp container might have to be placed over a trash bin.
Some users may find this messy whereas some others find it convenient because that reduces cleanup.
But users who prefer having a container should choose an external container because with it they won’t have to stop juicing to empty the basket.
Ease of Cleaning
If users are juicing regularly, they should look for juicers and their components which are easy to clean. Cold press juicers should not be left to dry and should be cleaned after every use. If users don’t like to clean a lot, they should look for a juicer the parts of which are dishwasher-safe.
TIP: Running lime juice through a cold press juicer makes it smell fresh and removes all stains particularly if the parts are plastic. A new toothbrush can be used as a brush to clean nooks and crannies.
Frequency of Using
Some cold press juicers are not designed to handle a lot of juicing. They may easily overheat and just stop working. If users are not planning to juice regularly, a cheap machine is fine. However, if they want to do gallons of juicing, they should look for something a bit more expensive.
Some cold press juicers are known to overheat if used for longer periods in a single session, while others have safety features against overheating meaning that they may shut down if used for up to an hour if are overused. Thus users have to look for a heavy duty cold press juicer if they will be juicing for longer periods.
Although other factors are important, budget is an important factor to consider too. There are affordable cold press juicers available with a good quality too but they come with some downsides like smaller chutes, hand washing etc. Cold press juicers with higher price usually have more perks (but not always).
Other Factors to Consider
Some other factors to check are whether the juicer is noisy, how long it will last if used every day or if used less often, if there is a warranty and if it is long or short and how easy the juicer is to operate.
Here are some of the top cold press juicers and their features.
Breville BJS600XL Fountain Crush Masticating Slow Cold Press Juicer
This is a silent and strong cold press juicer from Breville which is better than the rest. Its 240W motor handles juicing fast.
BJS600XL has most modern features that make it more efficient than others. The machine features a filter basket with an auto purifier that extracts high-quality juices from almost all raw ingredients. It also features a reverse direction control that reverses clogging if there is any.
- Overload protection system that stops the juicer automatically when there is a high load
- Safe start system that makes sure the machine doesn’t start unless all components are locked properly
- Easy to clean and cleaning brushes are included
- Users can easily run water through while the motor is still running and make different juices simultaneously – no disassembling required for cleaning
- Compact size to occupy small counter space
- All parts are not available for replacement; thus if the juicing bowl is broken, a new cold press juicer has to be bought
- Some parts are not dishwasher-safe
- Like most masticating juicers, it requires to cut vegetables and fruits to avoid clogging
For more reviews and recommendations, check Breville BJS600XL Fountain Crush Masticating Slow Juicer Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
SKG New Generation Anti-oxidation Slow Masticating Juicer
SKG New Generation juicer has one of the widest 3” (76mm) chute ever that lowers oxidation and ensures little to no clogging. It also cuts preparation time. Some fruits can also be put in whole. Only some hard produce like ginger should be cut or they can break the juicer. The juicer is designed for making juices but it can also make tofu and sorbets.
The juicer features an overload system that stops the juicer if the machine runs for one hour and if the motor overheats, parts are not assembled properly, or there is unstable power supply or an idle run.
- The juicer features a Reverse Rotation button (REV Button) that ensures unclogging if it happens
- 240W sturdy, strong motor is one of the most powerful and fastest motors currently in the market
- Stainless steel and silicone parts that are BPA-free
- Quality food-grade anti-oxidation materials approved by the FDA
- Easy to clean
- Pulp is automatically separated from the juice
- The machine reaches users in a premium-quality gift box so that it feels like a gift and can also be given as a gift to users’ loved ones
- 2-year warranty on all parts with an extended 10-year warranty for main body and motor
- Heavy juicer so not portable
- The overload system may work against users and wastes much of time
- Parts are not dishwasher-safe because some silicone parts may get damaged in dishwasher
For more reviews and recommendations, check SKG New Generation Anti-oxidation Slow Masticating Juicer Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Champion G5-PG710 Cold Press Juicer
Champion G5-PG710 Cold Press Juicer has been around since the 70s so it can be called a classic. The machine was even featured some time ago in a magazine photo of the kitchen of Elizabeth Taylor. Thus it is known for around last 3-4 decades!
- Heavy duty, powerful 540W, full 1/3 horsepower General Electric Motor which can be used to make everything including juices of veggies and fruits, sorbets, veggie loaves, sauces, purees, baby foods and nut butter
- 1.75” chute that is relatively bigger than many juicers in the market. It lowers oxidation making the juice last for several days, reduces clogging and cuts preparation time as the ingredients don’t need to be cut to small pieces
- Efficient automatic pulp ejection
- 1-year warranty on screens and cutter blades, 3-year warranty on motor and 5-year warranty on all juicing components
- Easy assembly due to simple design
- Stainless steel and nylon plastic used as materials instead of molded plastic, thus more flexible. Even the cutting cone is made of nylon. Nylon plastic is prone to stain but running a bit breach through it can clean it.
- No overheating or plugging/jamming up
- Heavy, not very portable
- No self-feeding, foods have to be pushed down
For more reviews and recommendations, check Champion Juicer G5-PG710 Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Tribest Greenstar Elite GSE-5050 Jumbo Twin Gear Cold Press Juice Extractor
Tribest Greenstar Elite GSE-5050 works fine with everything including vegetables, fruits, grains, herbs and grasses to extract a glassful of nutritious juice. The juices or smoothies can be stored for days, so, users don’t have to do juicing every day. Since the strainer of the juicer is efficient, it leaves little to no pulp in the juice and so, the juice is normally high-quality.
- Automatic pulp ejector so, the need of manual removal of pulp is eliminated
- Pulp is usually dry which means no wastage of juice
- Durable, sturdy and rigid parts
- Balanced sure-grip handle
- Correct adjustment of pressure knob ensures little to no foaming
- Fast and quiet
- 12-year warranty
- Glass containers produced by Tribest are super easy to clean; no staining like plastic
- Parts are easy to disassemble
- Small crevices that are difficult to clean especially before the juicer and mesh screen. However, users often get a practice for it.
- Some produce might have to be cut. E.g. carrots are best juiced if they are made into inch-long pieces
For more reviews and recommendations, check Tribest GSE-5050 Greenstar Elite Cold Press Complete Masticating Juicer Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
VonShef Professional Slow Fruit Vegetable Masticating Juicer Machine
This is another silent cold press juicer that does juicing rather than grinding thereby retaining the important nutrients and enzymes.
- Sleek design which is compact and takes a small kitchen space
- 200W motor works fast and doesn’t overheat
- Two-step start system that prevents machine from starting unless all components are assembled properly and lid locked securely, thus it’s safe with kids around
- Easy disassembly and easy cleaning
- All parts dishwasher-safe
- Different juices can be made with just pouring water
- Automatic separation of pulp from juice due to two separate containers that collect juice and pulp separately
- A little weighty but the weight might be just because of high-quality materials
For more reviews and recommendations, check VonShef Professional Slow Fruit Vegetable Masticating Juicer Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Kuvings B6000S Slow Juicer
Kuvings B6000S is considered to be one of the quickest cold press juicers around. It makes juice in less than 5 seconds. Therefore it’s very useful for busy users.
Its chute is 3” wide and so, can take in whole uncut apples. Since fruits can be fed uncut, it lowers the risk of oxidation and cutting time is saved too.
This is also one of the simplest cold press machines to operate. Its assembly and disassembly is very easy for hassle-free cleanup. A cleaning brush is included too.
- One of the fastest machines
- One of the easiest juicers to operate
- Easy to clean
- Wide 3” inch chute
- Drip-free smart cap and sorbet maker included
- Nice recipe book with numerous useful recipes
- 240W silent motor
- No froth or foam is produced
- 10-year limited warranty
- The greater section contains small holes that make cleaning time-consuming but they don’t take more than 10 minutes
- Hard ingredients like ginger have to be cut
For more reviews and recommendations, check Kuvings BPA-Free Whole Slow Juicer Silver B6000S Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Juicepresso Best Cold Press Juicer
Juicepresso Best Cold Press juicer produces high-quality juice with all the nutrients intact with no foam or froth which means little to no oxidation. The juice made with this juicer can last for up to 72 hours. However, this is not a heavy duty juicer.
- Easy to clean because only one internal component, so, quick assembly
- Dishwasher friendly
- Sleek design takes less counter space
- BPA-free plastic
- Powerful DC motor ensures least chances of clogging but to be on the safer side, it’s better to cut some hard vegetables and fruits
- 7-year warranty on parts and motor
- It’s difficult to remove the lip of the hopper
- Cleaning the filter is tedious
- Not as quiet as other cold press juicers
For more reviews and recommendations, check Juicepresso Best Juicer Cold Press Juicer Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Flexzion Cold Press Juicer Machine
Flexzion Cold Press Juicer has brought a new design in the market making use of hydraulic press technology as compared to single or centrifugal (that doesn’t make slow juicing) auger.
- The chute of Flexzion’s Cold Press Juicer is not just wide but tall as well with its cutting blade positioned halfway down the chute to chop veggies and fruits in half. The largeness of the chute facilitates whole fruits and veggies to be thrown in with almost no risk of clogging.
- Silicone scraper too is helpful in preventing clogging by rotating in the opposite direction to the screen making sure that it’s always scraped clean.
- More juice with less foam with two strainers, a fine and a coarse, that allow users to select the amount of pulp they want in the juice
- Automatic pulp ejection
- Juice tap or cap to control the flow of juice to the pitcher so that is great for mixing various juices as users want
- The tap also facilitates easy cleaning as users can close it and put water in the auger housing
- Easy assembly and disassembly for easy cleaning
- 10-year warranty
- No collecting cups for juice and pulp, users just have to place pulp chute over a trash bin; a rubber stopper provided if users need to change containers or glasses while collecting the juice
- Not machine washable
For more reviews and recommendations, check Flexzion Cold Press Juicer Machine Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Juicer
Omega J8006 masticating juicer allows users to juice vegetables, fruits and greens including wheatgrass, make baby food and nut butter, grind spices and coffee, extrude pasta and mince garlic and herbs.
It also maintains and protects nutrients and enzymes keeping oxidation away.
Since there is little to no oxidation, juices can be stored for up to 72 hours without nutrition loss. The juicer produces little foam or froth and no separation. It also makes excellent smoothies. Since the juicer is not overheated or clogged, large amounts of foods can be used. It is also quiet.
J8006 is portable. It contains four main components that can be easily separated and reassembled for easy cleaning. A cleaning brush is included too in the package.
The juicer should not be left to dry. The disassembled parts should be put in hot water if users don’t feel like cleaning them immediately. If the parts are not cleaned properly, the plastic on the parts can be stained. The ring can be taken out with a blunt tool if users need to wash it (a sharp tool can cut it). This should not be washed in a dishwasher since it’s too small. It should be hand washed.
- Little to no oxidation of juice
- 15-year warranty
- Small chute so hard produce should be sliced before feeding
- Small collecting cup can’t hold juice for 2 or more people
- Small bin that needs frequent emptying
For more reviews and recommendations, check Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Hurom HU-100 Masticating Slow Juicer
As per Hurom’s claim, users get 35% more juice extraction with their HU-100 cold press juicer than the traditional slow juicers. Thus users can save on the quantity of produce they have to purchase.
A patented “Slow Squeeze” Technology (SST) by Hurom has been used in HU-100. It guarantees preservation of the natural taste along with nutrients including heat-sensitive nutrients like vitamins A, C and live enzymes.
The juicer works on all raw foods including vegetables, fruits, small berries, nuts and pomegranate seeds. It creates high-quality juices, marinades, sauces and baby food too. However, carrots and citrus should be peeled before being thrown in it. Also hard foods should not be pushed in and the juicer should be allowed to do its work.
- Hurom HU-100 is silent
- Compact size so it doesn’t add to kitchen clutter
- Fast – juicing done within a few minutes (but depends on the ingredients)
- Self-feeding so adds to speed
- Easy cleanup done in just 4 minutes, users should just separate the parts and run hot soapy water over them and brush if needed
- 10-year warranty
- Not dishwasher-safe
- Leaves a lot of pulp so constant cleaning is required
For more reviews and recommendations, check Hurom HU-100 Masticating Slow Juicer Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Long Story Short: Masticating juicers are slow, cold press juicers. When juicing, they require time and often, due to high pressures inside the units, they tend to be heavy.
But, their juices are almost free from oxygen and healthy compounds last longer, especially when refrigerated - up to 72 hours (3 days).
If you like to make larger amount of juice at once, consider masticating juicers.